006: How you can get everything you want in life from helping other people with Melissa Remis
About Melissa Remis
Melissa Remis loves networking and being able to refer business to others. Her philosophy comes from Zig Ziglar’s quote, “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.”
She has been an Independent Associate of LegalShield part-time since 1999. Her entrepreneurial efforts in this business include leadership training, recruiting, and sales. In October 2016 she transitioned to full-time, building a stronger sales team, and focusing on helping all small business owners who want to protect and grow their business.
She earned her Bachelor’s of Science Degree from UW-La Crosse, with Nuclear Medicine and Biology Majors, and a Chemistry Minor.
Her other experiences include Nuclear Medicine Technologist, big-box retail management, and CEO of a family business that reached almost $7 Million in revenues in 2015.
She currently serves Homeland Security in the US Coast Guard Auxiliary as a Crew Member, Vessel Safety Examiner, Trainer, and as Secretary for the 8WR Hiawatha Division and local Flotilla.
She also serves as the President of the Coulee Region Authentic Learning Council, which is a governance board for two charter schools in the La Crosse School District. She also serves as a 3-year appointee of Governor Scott Walker on the Wisconsin Small Business Regulatory Review Board.
What’s kept you in the legal business?
· “I have a passion for helping people and not only do I get to help small businesses and individual people but we also give inexpensive access to just about anyone.”
How has Legal Shield actually saved your family money?
· “I have a teenage driver in my family and sometimes I drive like a teenager and Legal Shield has gone to court for both of us and gotten the points taken off both our records.”
What is your definition of greatness?
· “Always doing your absolute best at everything you do!”
Share with us one of your best networking stories
· “In a master networks networking group I met a realtor in LaCrosse and we’ve become very good friends and we refer business to one another and because of that I’ve met so many more people.”
How do you stay in front of your network or community?
· “I think it’s through community service, when people see you’re involved with the community they pay a little more attention to it while you do things that you love.”
What advice do you have for business professionals looking to grow their networks?
· “Get involved with your community, pretty simple! Everyone is looking for volunteers and that’s probably the best way to start. Take that a step further and start your own networking group when you’re ready.”
Digital networking or traditional networking?
· “I think the face to face in traditional networking is more valuable but it has to transition to digital now. You can’t ignore LinkedIn and Facebook, you have to be careful about your persona that you put out there.”
If you could go back 20 years, what would you tell yourself to do more or less of regarding your career?
· “Focus on your own company instead of getting sidetracked with other projects and people.”
Who would you love to connect with and do you think you could do it within 7 degrees?
· “I think I could do it in less than 7, I would love to meet Carley Fiorina.”
What book are you reading right now?
· “I just started reading ‘Intentional Living’ by John Maxwell and I just finished Ego is the Enemy which is a very
of advice for our listeners??
· “As soon as you meet someone, ask them about their business first because they’ll as about yours in return. Then, find them a referral as fast as you can and you’ll be known as the person who gets people referrals and they’ll want to introduce you to people.”
You can get in contact with Melissa Remis at:
Learn about Melissa at: MelissaRemis.Life
Linked at: @MelissaRemis
Legal Shield Website: whatismyplan.com