015: Being true to yourself, your brand, and your network with Cory Savage
About Cory Savage
Cory Savage is a serial entrepreneur, in 2002 he started own my pad.com. He’s a partner in Soul Boxer Cocktail Company and founder and owner of Savage Solutions, a user focused brand, digital, and social agency located in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
How did you go from owning one business to many businesses?
· “Well, it wasn’t actually part of any plan. I like to say, I’m the guy who doesn’t have many plan. Generally, each of these new companies are based on a product or service that I really believe in.”
How do you define your bottom line?
· “This was a question that was asked to me when I was 19 years old by a professor and I didn’t really realize how much this would actually be a guide for me in my life. A lot of people’s bottom line are driven by money, fame, or materialistic things but my bottom line is doing what you love, with people you love to work with, for people that love what you do, all while spending as much time with your family as possible.”
Share with us one of your best networking stories
· “I always go back to one story when I was working a corporate job that I really didn’t enjoy. I was at a Leroy Butler golf outing at Fire Ridge golf club with my dad and I was only there because a friend owned a sports marketing company. My friend paired me up with Don Beebe and I made it purposeful to stay in contact with him. He contacted me about helping him franchise his company and that ended up being my first real client for Savage Solutions.”
How do you stay in front of your network or community?
· “I don’t really have a game plan, I have a weird mantra of ‘I don’t network to gain business.’ My network is a mix of potential customers, friends, and competitors and the reality of it is that I think that is really healthy! You never know who will be a resource for you.”
What advice do you have for business professionals looking to grow their networks?
· “My advice is always to step out of your comfort zone and to be a well rounded person, you need to find a way to make those starter conversations. You never know who you meet and where you’ll be but there’s a lot of really good things you can do!”
Digital networking or traditional networking?
· “I actually prefer digital, I think digital is a great lead in to things. I was at a place today and the first thing this lady said to me was ‘I saw you were doing on Facebook…’ and that breaks the ice!”
If you could go back 20 years, what would you tell yourself to do more or less of regarding your career?
· “I would try to tell myself to be a lot more humble and a lot more honest because I never want to lose at anything and you never want to compete against me. I always felt that I needed to talk a bigger game and showcase the company in a different way to showcase the company in a way that we weren’t and I learned a lot of hard lessons that way.”
Who would you love to connect with and do you think you could do it within 7 degrees?
· “I couldn’t limit it to one person so I’m going to have to throw two at you. Firstly, Aron Shapiro who owns Huge in Brooklyn because one, I think he’s a very similar person to me and two, because he started in his basement and now he’s built a culture of believers. The other one was Gary Vanderchuck because I want to know if he’s doing all this stuff, just to buy the New York Jets.”
What book are you reading right now?
· “I just started ‘Show Blood’ and I’m also reading ‘Ask Gary V’ but the problem with me right now is that when I start reading a book I can’t stop reading it and it’s also planning season.”
Any final words of advice for our listeners??
· “Everybody is a resource. I always tell people, if you believe you can do it, you can do it. I’m not the smartest person in the world but I’ve build a couple of successful businesses. Be true to yourself, your brands, and the people you work with and surprisingly, you can have a lot of fun along the way.”
You can get in contact with Cory at:
The best way to reach Cory is at SavageSolutionsLLC.com
You can also find him on Facebook and LinkedIn!